Leader Board Ad

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Things Found In....

Whether you found something you've lost, something someone else has lost, or just something you weren't even looking for...a "find" is something special.  I have given away my best secret time and time again because I know the supply of things to find is endless. Heck, I estimate that every 5 seconds another item is lost, misplaced or just plain forgotten, and something is found only every three days!  With that kind of ratio there should be a never ending supply of things to find for eternity. There are other sites dedicated to the subject of this post: Things found in books directs readers to browse through their library and post items found between the pages. I have used it several times to help promote this blog and help me research what I've found.

I recently found a well preserved souvenier program from 1945:
In flipping through it I found myself enjoying the ridiculous size of the production and the number of performers. This was a really big shoe (or skate, as it were). There were also an number of ads to which I may have to devote another post. Here is the reverse, truly aimed at the folks enjoying the close of WWII (Click on either for a larger image):
As I flipped through the pages at the sale, I noticed a small envelope that wasn't empty and quickly closed up the book and asked for a price. I didn't pay more than a dollar as it was purchsed with other items. A small price to pay for a "find" within a "find."







Somebody went to Boston, first for the ice follies and then liked it so much they returned  to see a show. The Colonial Theatre was and is well known, though I am sure that the theater district in Boston was a little more vibrant in 1945. Today it is available for rental for parties and is as well preserved as the Vanderbilt mansions in Newport. The envelope contained what you might expect from your own trip to the big city:
I was glad to see that the playbill had been kept as well:
You can click on it for a larger image, but I couldn't for the life of me (or the life of father) recognize any of the actors in the play. Carl Benton Reid had been acting on Broadway since 1929 and only 4 years before this off Broadway stint had begun acting in Film and TV. He became a steady character actor in series television throughout the 50's and 60's. Part of the fun of this find was reconstructing the performers and where they were in their careers.  The back of the "bill" gives the ever important escape route in the event of a fire:

1 comment:

Found something unique? See something here you want to know more about? Start the discussion - I'll respond. Really!