Leader Board Ad

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Movie Ad: Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

I was looking though a Pictorial Review from 1935 and saw the ad for this MGM classic. I wondered about the appeal to movie-going audiences. This film has been re-made a couple of times (at least) and I've never been able to watch any version in its entirety. I don't have anything against it, but it seems the audience is put through the same experience as the men on the ship - a raucous party in Tahiti with a bevy of topless natives only to be dragged back to sea and then into a navel trail (Yup, I misspelled it, but it makes me laugh, so I can't change it, though the navel battle was really back on Tahiti). Well, 45 minutes in and I wanna go back to Tahiti! I also started looking at this movie, and my last post "Apocalypse Now!" and thought about the similarities. Then realizing that both starred Brando (1962 version) and it all made sense....I've been staring at this ad for too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Found something unique? See something here you want to know more about? Start the discussion - I'll respond. Really!