Leader Board Ad

Saturday, July 16, 2011

What's on Your Stationery?

Every time I find something old, whether it's paper, a fossil, or some piece of some old gadget or product, I feel good. Why is that? Old paper can sit in a box somewhere; acidified, crumbling, and few notice or spend more that a minute or two appreciating it. Me? I have to scan it; put it under a microscope, read the handwritten notes and draw some conclusion has to what happened. RIP Betty Ford and thank you for conquering your addictions and helping others, but what about me?  A few months ago, some very good friends let me into a small warehouse where old business papers were kept . They let me look around, but I don't know if they knew what they had done. My eyes became fixed and dilated, i began feeling my clothes for a magnifier and wishing I had some poly-page protector sleeves.  (Does this make them enablers?). This week they let me borrow a small collection of these papers. Am I happy? Let's just say, I got my "fix."
Despite millions and millions of YouTube views this ad is proof that an image of a cat inside a container is hardly new. This 90 year-old ad must have sold fairly well given the effect cats have on humans. Please watch "Exhibit A"





A brief shout out to my friends. Thank you!  And don't worry, we'll find a cure for "Papyrus interruptus" someday!

And as a public service announcement to all of you, Remember: "Friends don't let friends drive... by estate sales."

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Dustbane is still around, and still HQed in Ottawa. Here's a PDF from 2009 or 2010 with the Original Sweeping Compound 100th Aniv. Formula featured at the bottom of the page. Looks like they're selling it in replica old packaging.
    http://www.dustbane.ca/literature/catalog/specialty_en.pdf

    Here's some something on Baer Bros:
    http://www.14to42.net/37street4.5.html

    ReplyDelete

Found something unique? See something here you want to know more about? Start the discussion - I'll respond. Really!